New Zealand Time

Sunday, March 21, 2010

Bungee jumping



Have you ever noticed that things seem better the night before than they do the next day?

I met Andy at 11 to go bungee (or do you say bungy?) jumping. We decided to go to Kawarau Bridge, which was the site of the first bungee jumping. Boarded a bus in Queenstown that goes out to the bridge. It was a pretty quiet bus ride. Everybody was a little apprehensive. I think that I brought the average age on the bus up by a couple of years!

Andy went first (he was smaller and there was a shorter line). The height of the jump was 43 meters, or 142 feet (about a 14 story building). Andy got up there and went to the edge and then looked down. They tell you not to look down, but to go up there and jump on the count of 3. He backed away twice and they told him that if he backed away once more, it would be best for him not to jump. He finally jumped.

I went up there and moved my toes up to the edge. In the pictures that I have, it looks like I'm about 7 months pregnant, as I have my feet up there, but I'm arching my back to make sure I don't fall over. I did not look down, and jumped on the count of three. (see pictures above!)

I was supposed to hit the water, but missed it. They must have misjudged. They weigh you so they know how much cord to give you. I guess being short is better than the other alternative. You bounce a couple of times, and then they lower you down to the river to a boat that brings you back to shore.

I probably will never do this again. It was fine except after bouncing and spinning, I got a little dizzy from the motion.

I did get the picture package and a DVD. I'll try and post the DVD later. They also give you a free (!!) t shirt to commemorate your jump.

No comments:

Post a Comment