New Zealand Time

Thursday, March 4, 2010

I love it when a plan comes together

Finally, the last big part of my trip (working on a farm) came through. This allowed me to fill in around the edges with hotels, buses, trains, etc. The only potential hole is if the three day whitewater rafting trip doesn't find enough people. I think I can find something to do instead!

An overview of my trip is eight days are spent on the North Island. A couple of days in Auckland, then bouncing around to some different hotels, simple bed and breakfast and a luxury resort. I little bit of everything. Planning on visiting some wineries, visiting some hot springs, learning about the Maori culture, horseback riding, etc.

Then I fly to the South Island and spend the next 20+ days before my trip home. I start out with an 8 day hike called the Classic. It combines the Milford Track and the Routeburn Track. http://www.ultimatehikes.co.nz/uh_home.asp I get back from this and then head out on a three day whitewater rafting trip. We take a helicopter up to the starting point and then head down from there and camp along the river. A couple of days in Queenstown to see if I have am really going to bungee jump, or just decide to watch. Then a bus trip across the Southern Alps to Christchurch. From there I go work for 6 days on a small farm. The "scheme" is that you work for 4 to 6 hours a day in exchange for room and board. This farm has cattle, sheep, goats, pigs, and chickens. I really want to learn what it takes to raise them. At home, we are starting with chickens and bees this year. Then it is a two day train/ferry/train trip back up to Auckland to get ready for the trip home.

I'm just about ready!

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like you're ready for your adventure, Hugh! I hope you have a wonderful time down under. Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete